Monday, July 19, 2010

'Jigs and Reels' a quilt in progress

Discussions about this quilt started some time ago. My niece's 21st in July required a special gift and so I made a trip to Maeve Meaney at the Limerick Quilt Centre with my sister and sister-in-law to select some fabrics. We had a warm welcome from Maeve who put the kettle on as we arrived! Then my sister and sister-in-law set to work on selecting some special fabrics. As my niece is studying traditional music and dance at the University of Limerick, a music theme was going to show up in the quilt somewhere. With all the family history of knitting, sewing, lace-making and embroidery through the generations, a sewing theme became an obvious choice as well. The light and dark turquoise floral prints brought back fond memories of my mother's sense of style. And the old-fashioned floral/stripe fabric was so pretty we couldn't resist. The block-pattern and overall quilt design was chosen from the book "Clever Quarters Too" by Susan Teegarden Dissmore.
Cutting of the fabric started in May and here is the first block ready for assembly. More photos to follow

No comments:

Post a Comment