(advanced 'mystery quilt' machine-pieced and hand-quilted)
(Beginner's Sampler Quilt: a different technique (hand or machine) in each block)
As you can see from the photos above there are a variety of patchwork techniques for you or your group to learn. Classes can be all hand-stitching, all machine-stitching or a mixture of both. We can look at traditional techniques using templates, papers or modern quick methods of rotarty cutting and strip piecing.
I am happy to teach small classes (up to 4 people) at my studio near Caherlistrane, Co. Galway during weekdays between 10-2pm.
Or if you have a suitable venue I can come to you/your group.
Or I can teach at my classroom venue in Galway for up to 10 people.
I also often teach one-off classes at Pippa Blue's shop in Middle St., Galway (see http://www.pippablue.com/ for details) or at Groundworks Studios, Lyrr Building, Mervue Business Park, Galway (see http://www.groundworksstudios.com/ for details).
Please email me at email@example.com for more details and prices.
The following are just some of the techniques that can be covered:
- Piecing over papers. This is a hand-stitching technique also known as English piecing. It will allow you to create traditional patterns such as 'Grandmother's Flower Garden' and 'Tumbling Blocks'. Use this to make a single block for your 'sampler quilt' or make lots and create an all-over pattern.
- Strip piecing. This is a machine-sewing technique and is a quick method of constructing lots of patterns. It will allow you to create traditional patterns such as 'Rail Fence' and 'Basket Weave'. Use this to make another single block for your 'sampler quilt' or make lots and create an all-over pattern.
- Machine applique. This technique uses fusible webbing to iron pieces in place and machine satin-stitch then covers the raw edges. It is a quick method of creating blocks for your quilt.
- Log Cabin. This is a traditional block often seen in old Irish wool quilts. It is quick and easy to construct with a variety of design possibilities.
- Tips on how to construct the quilt-top. Stitching blocks edge-to-edge or adding sashing.
- How to layer a quilt with wadding and backing. Machine-quilt a sample block. Demonstration on how to add binding to the edge of your quilt.