"Branches in the Moonlight" (detail)
"Salt fell like Snow" (detail...in progress)
"Framed Sketchbook" (detail)
"Stitching the Legend Sketchbooks"
Photos of some of the work making it's way northwards for "Stitching the Legend" an exhibition by the Textile Art Forum at the Flax Gallery, Mossley Mill, Newtownabbey from 8th to 30th June.
The Textile Art Forum is a group of textile artists including Jan Blair (Co. Meath), Amanda Northey (Co. Antrim), Frances Sawaya (Co. Cavan) and myself.
My work for this exhibition is based on local legends of Knockma (Cnoc Maigh) near my home in Co. Galway. This hill is said to have been the residence of Finnbharra, king of the Connacht fairies. One story tells of how Eithne, a local chieftain’s wife was spirited away by Finnbharra, forcing her husband to search for her and combat fairy magic.
All this mystery and romance led me through a process of sketching, collaging, printing, fabric-painting, inkjet printing on fabric, free-machine embroidery and quilting. My own sketchbook led me to create another sketchbook, which I sent to the Brooklyn Art Library Sketchbook Project and this one can now be viewed online at http://www.arthousecoop.com/library?utf8=%E2%9C%93&display_name=ester+kiely&theme_id=&commit=Search&country=&city=&province=&state=
1. Panel Signature Piece: She Looked up through the trees 50x50cms £50
2. Wall Hanging: Branches in the Moonlight 92 x 51cm £140
3. Wall Hanging: Salt fell like Snow 102 x 71cm not for sale4. Wall Hanging: Branches in the Setting Sun 92 x 51cm £140
5. Panel: Fairy Tree at Knockma I (8x8in) £55
6. Panel: Fairy Tree at Knockma II (8x8in) £557. Panel: Fairy Tree at Knockma III (8x8in) £55
8. 5 x A6 Covered Sketchbooks £20ea9. Framed Sketchbook not for sale