Friday, October 16, 2009

Aran Island Hand


This is the oil painting I brought home after my 1st course of 5 classes with Jim Kavanagh. I learned a huge amount from Jim while working on this one painting. It was underpainted in violet acrylic for 2 weeks and then painted with oils on top for a further 2 weeks.

I 'dabbled' with painting in watercolours, acrylics and oils on my own in the past, but probably never understood how to make it all work the way I wanted. Having the help of a teacher made a huge difference!
I enjoyed Jim's classes so much I've signed up for another course. We started a new drawing last night, so I'm hoping to learn some more as I do my second oil painting.

5 comments:

  1. Ester this is fantastic. I love the warmth, it reminds me of my great grandfather, as he also smoked a pipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow fabulous work Ester. Great to see your work in such a different medium.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well done ester ...to be open to learning is a fantastic space to be in ..and thank you for the lovely comment x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the lovely comments on my first steps in painting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Ester - the tiles are fun, only 2" square so easy enough to work on ;-)

    ReplyDelete